Slow it. Spread it. Sink it. Store it!
A Homeowner's and Landowner's Guide to Beneficial Stormwater Management | Download 8.9 MB PDF
Our popular "Slow It. Spread It. Sink It." publication has been updated and revised and is now titled: "Slow it. Spread it. Sink it. STORE IT!" (S4 Guide for short).
With a fourth year of drought, an Emergency Conservation Order in Russian River Tributaries, and California's new Sustainable Groundwater Management Act, tools to assist local landowners with water resource management is needed now more than ever. The RCD's S4 Guide, offering beneficial stormwater management and water conservation strategies for urban, rural, and agricultural landowners, now includes additional information on rainwater catchment and water storage techniques and an updated Resources Guide. The S4 Guide provides straightforward best management practices that can help to protect and replenish surface water and groundwater resources, offset groundwater use, reduce erosion and pollution, while providing many other benefits.
Traditional building and landscaping practices were designed to dispose of stormwater as quickly as possible. This outdated paradigm typically results in significant damage to land, structures, and the surrounding environment. Slowing down, spreading and sinking stormwater can help protect your property & increase its value, provide a free source of water for irrigation, conserve drinking water, beautify your landscape, promote groundwater recharge and much more!
The guidebook is packed full of information including:
- Understanding and evaluating stormwater runoff around your home or property
- How to protect your property and increase its value
- "Do it yourself" techniques
- A wide assortment of sample stormwater Best Management Practices
- Technical information and advice on rainwater harvesting and infiltration techniques
- Guidance on designing and implementing large-scale projects
- A broad sampling of local projects implemented right here in Sonoma County
- Safety and maintenance requirements
- An extensive resource guide to help readers quickly locate key information and get started!